ESRB Retail Council (ERC) members are committed to helping parents and other consumers make informed choices about which video games are appropriate for their children and family.
As an ERC member, participating retailers voluntarily commit to use their best efforts to comply with the Ratings Education and Enforcement Code, which includes:
- Enforce store policies not to sell M (Mature) rated video games to customers under the age of 17 (or the age of 18 for Adults Only-rated games) without permission from a parent or guardian;
- 88% store policy enforcement (ERC spring 2019 mystery shopper audit)
- Display signage in stores describing the ESRB rating system and the retailer's policy regarding the sale of M- and AO-rated games;
- 84% ratings signage compliance (ERC spring 2019 mystery shopper audit)
- Participate in at least two mystery shopper audits each year to measure the level of store policy enforcement and ratings signage compliance;
- Participate in two online audits each year measuring accurate ESRB ratings on member websites;
- 93% accurate rating information (ERC fall 2018 online audit)
- Resolve complaints from customers regarding non-compliance with store policy regarding the sale of M- and AO-rated games;
- Inform store associates about the ESRB ratings and game sales procedures/policies;
- Share best practices with other ERC members.